History of St. Augustine's College

The history of St. Augustine’s College, Cape Coast must of necessity begin from introduction of Catholicism in the country. The Portuguese who first landed at Shama near Secondi in 1471 and later in Elmina in 1482 were Catholics. In 1893, Rev. Fr. Michon of Elmina Mission purchased a parcel of land at Amisano near Elmina to be put under cultivation to support the personnel at the Elmina mission. In 1909, Bishop Hummel started a little Seminary with three students, and made an ex standard VII boy the overseer of the parcel of land.
The missionary diary of the period states inter alia:
The results were what to be expected from such an arrangement; master and student did not amount to much, two of the students dying without receiving sacrament.
In December 1928, the then Vicar- Apostolic of the Gold Coast, Monsignor Hummel, after discussions with the Colonial Government, paid a visit to the Amisano farm and chose the sight for the future College. Rev. Fr. John Van Heeswijk, the Superior of the Elmina Mission, was put in charge of the project. After some initial difficulties, the Colonial Government supported the mission with a grant of £6,000 on the approval of the Legislative Council in 1929, and the actual construction work began in the earnest in February, 1929. By the end of the year, the staff house and the other blocks were ready for use. The January 1930 edition of “ The Catholic Voice” carried the following account of  the official opening of the college: “ Catholics abroad will be immensely delighted to hear that the Teachers’ Training College at Amisano, which will be ready to receive students during the month of February, has been officially opened by His Excellency, the Governor, on January the 15th 1930.” The new institution was to serve as both a Teachers’ Training College and a Seminary.

 

Roll of Principals and Headmasters (Since 1930)

Fr. Maurice Brendan Kelly – 1930 – 1936/1942 – 1948

Fr. Joseph Gerald Holland – 1936 – 1939

Fr. Michael Scully – 1939 – 1942

Fr. Patrick Joseph Murphy – 1948 – 1950

Fr. Michael Anthony Glynn – 1950 – 1961

Rev. Fr. Joseph Amihere Essuah – 1961 – 1963

Mr. Sebastian Opon – 1963 – 1969

Mr. Samuel Seddoh – 1969 – 1976

Mr. Thomas Kow Atta Commeh – 1976 – 1977

Mr. Joseph Billy Cobbinah – 1977 – 1980

Mr. Luke Gyesi-Appiah – 1980 – 1991

Msgr Gabriel D. Mensah – 1991 – 1995

Mr. Jerry Benjamin Koomson – 1995 – 2002

Mr. Francis Gabriel Amissah – 2002 – 2008

Mr. Joseph Connel – 2008 – to Date